Friday, June 25, 2010

Something about the shop I work at was made clear to me today: the owners are reactive, instead of proactive. I've known this for a while, I just haven't been able to clearly identify what it was that I knew. They're not around very much, and nothing I can think of is done in anticipation of something. Or thought through. I guess business is kind of like chess: one must look ahead, be able to see what's coming, see what one's options are, and have the foresight to see which option is the best. And, of course, take that option. It is possible to stay in the game for a while by simply reacting to the other player's moves, but to win you need to think ahead––be proactive.
That explains so much about the shop.
Also, applying the latest pop-psych research isn't going to do anything if you don't have the basics down. Instead of limiting the number of tasks your employees do, or giving them ratios of how to handle things, or telling them how much information their brains can process, make sure they know the basic operating procedures. They must know, use, and apply these. They must. Which brings me to another point. You must have clear, complete, and efficient operating procedures that have been well thought out. I was fortunate enough to learn the set of procedures that I operate by from a guy who really knew how to run a shop. He left about two years ago, and the newer employees can't seem to fully grasp how things should operate, because no one has time to teach them, and without any management hierarchy they have no superior they have to listen to. They don't see the importance of doing things the way we have done, so they don't. And these are not people who would be able to handle themselves without guidance.
So, often-absent and reactive owners, a lack of good foresight, a lack of managerial structure where needed, a lack of clarity in the general structure of the business, and a lack of good operating procedures are hurting the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment