1. The Bible
2. On Writing, by Stephen King - This book may be about writing, but it's been one of the most influential books of my life anyway. Besides being very entertaining, I've been able to apply what he says about writing to things I do, and to life in general. There are pages I would frame and hang on the wall.
3. In Pursuit of Elegance, by Matthew E. May - Another life changing book. I read this around second semester of freshman year, and it has definitely shaped at least the rest of my college career, if not the rest of my life. It's totally changed how I view everything (if you've read it, you'll understand), and made me realize how much of a minimalist I am (or turned me into one. who knows).
4. I'm Just Here for the Food, by Alton Brown - This is the book that got me into cooking. Enough said.
5. How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie - Though it took me quite a while to get over the unsettling title, it's full of great reminders of how to treat people. It's really a book on decency and treating people with respect and dignity–things that have gotten devalued these days.
6. Rich Dad, Poor Dad, by Robert T. Kiyosaki - I read this during my high school senior year (I think), and somehow his philosophies about personal finance just seeped into my brain. I'm really glad it did (though the mystic nature of seepage makes me a little uneasy). It's a very rare way of looking at daily purchases, possessions, etc., and while it may sound a bit extreme, I've found it very practical.
7. Culinary Artistry, by Andrew Dornenberg and Karen Page - This basically showed me a side of culinary art I had never seen before–the art part. An amazing book, which I shall expound upon in a list of The Most Influential Culinary Books of my Life.
No comments:
Post a Comment