Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Houses

I really don't like houses. I was riding my bike through a subdivision today when this thought burst into my head. I was looking at row by row of houses that all looked the same. They weren't "cookie-cutter" houses, but they all had the same styling, the same feel, the same basic house-ness to them.
Another thought occurred to me: do all the people in these houses look generally the same? Act the same? Think the same?
And why is it that bigger is better? The more expensive homes cost more because they're bigger, or on more desirable property. I have yet to see a higher-priced house with a sign that said "this house was built by someone who really knew what they were doing," or, "we really thought about what a house means and what it includes and involves, and this is it." All I've seen is the square-footage, or "lakefront property." If you want square-footage, go live in a warehouse. If you're more interested in where you're land is than how much thought the draftsman put into your floor plan, go live in a warehouse on a lake.
I just hate how much sameness is in houses. It's like you have a checklist of things that must be in a house, or else it's something weird. Something different from normal houses...

from 6/5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment