Thursday, August 26, 2010

Why I am, at the moment, a genius

So here's the chain of events:
I've been reading Culinary Artistry, and it talks a lot about the composition of flavors in a dish. Then, the epic Culinary Tour of Saint Louis happened, during which I went to Niche. There I had a sauce that, even at the time, changed my life. It was comprised of soy sauce and Meyer lemon––the effect this had on me I'm afraid I can't describe, it just blew me away. Fast forward a couple weeks. I sat down to read Culinary Artistry, and since I rarely use bookmarks (I'm not sure why), I decided to reread a section on sauce-making that I remembered was interesting (I am fascinated with sauce-making). The section is amazingly insightful in its own right, but at the end, the chef who wrote it mentioned something about balsamic vinegar and soy sauce, bringing in sweetness and acidity with the balsamic, and saltiness and savoriness with the soy sauce. Exactly what the Niche sauce had done! I set the book down immediately and mixed a small portion of the two. It was incredible! Suddenly, everything I read and tasted and knew about flavor composition made sense! I couldn't believe it! I could suddenly see and taste and appreciate things to a degree I hadn't been able to before. I don't mean to sound cliché, but it was that Aha! moment when everything clicks, when it all falls together. And there's no going back.
Digression: Those moments are awesome, but sad in their own way. That incredible feeling when your eyes are opened can only happen once (barring traumatic brain injury), though I'm sure there are plenty of other amazing things to discover.
Anyway, the other day I made a stir-fry-type-thing with this new sauce I discovered, and it was fantastic! It immediately became one of my all-time favorite dishes to make (it's also incredibly easy). I got some top sirloin steak, cubed it, seasoned with salt and pepper (of course), then sautéed it to about medium. I poured the juice out of the pan and sautéed onions (Lyonnaise), garlic (minced), and red pepper (roughly Allumette). Then I added the beef back, poured in some of the sauce, and threw in some cooked penne. I tossed it all to get good sauce coverage and emptied the pan onto a plate.
Never before has the phrase "awesome-sauce" been more applicable.

No comments:

Post a Comment