Friday, August 20, 2010

Reality

I was just reading On Writing, when I had a revelation (it's not really that exciting, but still important). Stephen (I feel like we're friends by now) was talking about young writers living off of take-out pizza. What struck me is this instant realization that that is probably what I should be doing for my culinary life.
Especially before classes started, I was trying to eat healthily, shop well, cook well, etc., and did, but I'm a college student and, let's face it, shopping well and cooking well is not in my budget. I was still trying to figure out how I was to go about developing my culinary abilities and experience while staying within my tight time and budget constraints. Now, I realize, cooking and eating well will have to be the exception––it is better to do this once a week and eat cheaply otherwise than to do it twice a week and go hungry and the end of the week. I guess it just comes down to focus (again). The cheaper I live, the better I'll be able to really work on my cooking that one day a week. Perhaps I should set aside that day? Saturday sounds good, except that is my prime baking day. Hmm...
I've been pretty angsty recently...   ok, very angsty, but magically, right now I feel the world is right. What created this feeling? A solitary spot in the library, a good book, and a cup of black brewed happiness. The idea of coffee being such a comfort (as I have found it) irks me a little––I'd prefer to feel at ease without an aid––but boy, does it feel nice. In this merry triad everything is ok, because I can focus, think, plan, and am free from any unwanted influence. Side note: I'm finding more and more unwanted influences the more I look around me. But, as Stephen and I were discussing just a while ago, life is full of interruptions, and one must work around them. So these influences, I suppose, will stick around, though I'm trying my best to avoid them. Wouldn't it be great if is going to have to remain in my head while I grind my way towards where I want to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment