I just got out of the last undergraduate class of my life. It feels weird.
So that's the question: what's next? What now? I've entered into the realm where I have no commitments. I don't have to go to class, do homework, work on group projects. It's just, here's my time. What am I going to do with it?
I don't have a job lined up. I'm pretty thankful, actually. I can feel the freedom ahead of me. My plan is to work on the business and pick up some money doing freelance work (and chores). I'm looking forward to it. I have dreams of waking up everyday, drinking a cup of coffee, mountain biking, coming home, and then working on business and website stuff. And cooking. I have total freedom of time.
We'll see how that actually plays out.
There's a safety in school. I feel that in the real world, mistakes cost you. In school, it's not a big deal. People expect you to be learning. Maybe that's it. In the real world people expect you to know, not to be learning. Anyway, I'm now past the point where learning is acceptable. Now I need to know things. If I'm building sites, I need to know how to do it, and be able to explain options to people who might pay me for something.
A job would just be a continuation of school. You go in at a certain time. You sit down, plug away at your work, and just do what your boss puts in front of you. You don't need to think. You don't need to seek out. People tell you what you need to learn, you don't have to figure out what you need to learn and how best to do it. There's a path to follow.
Well, my life is path free now. I just have to do what I, myself, put before me. And use all the tools I have, all the smarts I can muster, all the information and knowledge I've collected up to this point to keep going ahead.
That's one thing that's different now. I have to draw on everything I know to get where I want to go. Life isn't divided into classes anymore. Now the more I can connect and put together, the better off I'll be. I have to figure out what I can do. Yeah, I can do finance and find evaluate business plans and models and I can even do a little bit of web and design work. I can even conjure up a marketing plan. But now I need to do everything I can do together.
I like the alternative lifestyle. So far. I haven't really gotten to it yet, but I'm waiting for it. And I'm pretty excited.
Blog, I'll probably be on you a lot more from now on.
No comments:
Post a Comment