Sunday, December 5, 2010

I overheard one of the servers talking about the differences in eating habits of Italians and Americans, referencing American habitual snacking (and the Italians' lack of snacking). Dismissing most of the conversation, she said "We're Americans. We just love food."
That immediately struck some discord in me, and, of course, got me thinking. First, that would imply that the Italians don't love food (ha!). More importantly, though, I got to thinking that maybe Americans don't love food, they love eating. But even that I'm not sure is true. I can't quite figure it out, but I don't think it's eating Americans particularly love. No, not when it's a giant bag of cheetos or "movie butter" popcorn or the other disgusting bagged garbage we as a nation consume (I'll save that rant for another day. All I can say is that Sublime Donut's slogan, "Eat one that's worth it," should apply to everything). Maybe what Americans really enjoy is satisfying a visceral need. Maybe simply staving off hunger, not wanting to feel a need.
Anyway, she talked about how the Italians see meals as a big deal and that we don't. And I think she's totally right.
But we should.

No comments:

Post a Comment