Saturday, April 24, 2010

Blogging

There's a problem with blogging. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it's something like this:
Whenever I'm thinking about something, I rarely finish the train of thought. It just keeps going. I'll wait till I think this through to write about it, think I. Well, finishing one thought, I quickly carry it on to another and before I know it, I've forgotten half of what I've thought about before. All I remember is my main stream of thought and not all those little offshoots that making thinking interesting and fun. All the wanderings that shaped my thoughts are long lost and muddled in my memory, and how I got to what I was thinking about totally eludes me. Alas, this makes blogging frustrating, which is probably why I haven't written much lately.
When you write, you clarify your thoughts. "Writing is refined thinking," says Steven King. But part of what makes thinking so fun is all those little strings, filaments of thought, which delicately spin the web that ensnares your main idea. Writing, to me, sometimes knocks away those wispy thoughts to get to the big one. Nothing wrong with that, sometimes it's necessary and oftentimes will show you the idea you should really be looking at. But it's still sad to see them go.
Really, the problem isn't blogging, it's me. Perhaps I should write about things as I'm thinking about them. But then I can't think as fast, and it's so much harder to get those wispy stray thoughts to catch something interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment